Friday, October 26, 2007

A Little Dirt Never Hurt

We have just completed our 4th full week of training in country, feels good to reach a bit of a milestone. Training is progressing nicely, getting closer to the half way point, which will be very exciting because we will learn about our project, meet our counterpart, and travel to our site for a weeklong visit. There are a few rumors floating around about Sarah and my post, we are trying not to get too excited about the prospect because it sounds pretty unique. I will hold off telling you all until we find out for sure.

Regardless, we had a bit of an exam today to quantify our progress in learning french. The exam went off well, but in the process of walking home in the rain, I got a bit dirty. Which brings me to today's topic, how to stay clean - during the rainy season.

I am sure all of you are aware, that in a mountain town (such as Aspen), we like to call the spring off-season the "mud season." I hate to break it to you hardened Colorado mountain men and women.....that is not a mud season.

Today it rained most of the morning, and since nearly all roads are dirt, they inevitably turn to mud. Here is a brief list of all the things I have tried in order to stay clean: wear rain pants to destination and take off when you arrive, roll pants once....or twice...or three times..., wear shorts, wear sandals, walk bow-legged. I think you get the point....but no matter what I try, my pants still get dirty. And in a country that is very clean (and our host family is even cleaner), wearing dirty clothes is not an option.

Here is a little dialog to further my point...

The scene: Sarah and I, on our way to town today, are walking out of our neighborhood when we see one of the cute neighbor kids Blanco...

Matt: Bon soir, Blanco
Blanco: Salut Matt
...long pause as we walk past him
Blanco: Ton pantalon est sale
Matt: Merci Blanco...

translation:
Matt: Afternoon Blanco
Blanco: Hello
...pause
Blanco: Your pants are dirty
Matt: Thanks...

Even the five year old children notice your cleanliness. To further the problem, I have three pairs of suitable pants for daily life and class. This is normally not a problem, but In Cameroon and the tropics I assume, there is a little something called the Mango Fly. If you don't let your clothes dry for 3 days, or iron them, the eggs of the mango fly (that are laid on your wet clothes as they dry), hatch. The larvae then burrows into your skin and is described as "a needle poking you every couple of seconds." Don't believe me? Google it! Anyway, the whole point of this is that three pairs of pants, three days to dry, two hours to wash, and rain every day...I think you get the picture.

Anyway, the moral of the story: Keep your clothes clean or else the mango fly might get you. . .


-M

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Matt,
loved this story!! you are having such memorable times there. Hope you are keeping a journal.
MOM