Friday, October 26, 2007

Clothes or Lack There Of

My neighbor exposed himself to me yesterday. . .

I saw him and stopped to say hello and before I knew what was happening, he ripped the towel off of his lower half and shouted "Sarah, I love you, I love you, I love you, I love yoooouu!"

(I should probably mention that it was 5 year old Blanco, who is so funny, and might be my favorite kid in Cameroon, plus. . he said the I love you bit in English)

In other news, I had my first outfit made with African fabric. I was really excited because I brought pictures from the States of what I wanted and I thought that I had picked out the perfect pattern. Let's just say that it did not turn out exactly how I imagined it would (a lot of brown, a lot of orange, shoulder pads, high stiff collar, you get the idea). After a humiliating fashion show in front of my entire host family, Matt and I laughed for 10 minutes straight in our room, and I put the dress in the bottom of my bag. My host sister asked me later if I like the dress; I replied by saying "a little." Then she asked me why and I did my best to explain. Finally, she demanded that I give the dress back and I learned the French words for shorter and tighter (I have it back now and it is much cuter).

So anyway, we are having a great week. Last night we ate an entire fish with our hands, and it was awesome!

-S

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah,
I think you should send us a photo of this cute 5 year old (with his clothes on) and also one of your African dress!! since you had it remade. We are all excited to talk with you about your assigned post but those lines seem to be busy lately. Miss YOU Both greatly.
Mom and DAD Kuhn

Unknown said...

Actually, I think this blog is not complete without a picture of the dress in its original state - it sounds absolutely hideous - I'd love to see it!!
Love ya,
Laura

Ginny Sycuro said...

Great photos! Looks like you are really having an adventure! I am sure you are making a big difference in your part of Africa! Are the photos of the natives Pygmies? I thought they would be very small.